Blog 3 – My summer holidays

As I write this, I have come to the end of my summer holidays. I mentioned in my first blog that I was a teaching assistant, and I am one of the lucky people who get 6 long, glorious weeks off (well 5 and 2 days this time) during the summer. It’s one of the many advantages of working in a school, and yes I know I am lucky. Now I have not had every day of the summer off, I have worked in the summer playscheme which runs at my school for a few days. Got to get that overtime in! I get so annoyed when people say we have too many holidays. Well excuse me, but we have them for a reason. The job I do is mentally and physically tiring and I need time off to recharge so I can be the best I can be when I am in school and with the pupils. The school I work in is specifically for children with special educational needs and disabilities. It is a wonderful place full of wonderful people, and I absolutely adore my job! It is a pleasure to get up and go to work every day and I think that is what makes me the lucky one!

When July comes my body and my mind are ready for a rest. I can tell how tired I am when I start to go to bed earlier and earlier each night! At the end of July I went to Barcelona for a few days. It was actually a hen do for one of my best friends. I can’t believe she is going to be a bride. I’m so excited! She has lost her mind and asked me to be one of her bridesmaids. I’ve got a posh dress and everything! Barcelona was beautiful, but it was hot. Too hot for Kimmy! I spent the whole time sweating off my sun cream and downing Fanta Lemon. I also almost died in the sea. Well that might be a slight exaggeration, but it felt like I was never going to see dry land again. We had been on a boat trip and I decided after 17 years that I was going to go in the sea. I’d had a bad experience when I was a child and hadn’t been in past my knees since. I tucked my wobbly bits into my swimming costume, applied my chapstick (I’m addicted) and jumped off the end of the catamaran. That was the easy part. I then had to get back onto the boat. What followed was chaos. At the end of the boat were large inflatable’s attached by a rope. Well of course ours wasn’t attached. There was me, the bride, the maid of honour and the groom’s family all minding our own business congratulating ourselves over jumping in, when we started to drift further and further from the boat. Panic set it when a Spanish guy started waving and swam out to us. I clutched onto the end of the float and allowed this man to pull us back towards the end of the boat. I couldn’t move. After a rescue mission that felt like it was never going to end the plan was all set for getting us back up the steps. Just a quick hop on the float again, not worrying about what’s hanging out of your costume, and then fling yourself from that to the step, leg up and there you go. I looked like a beached whale. Some poor Spanish girls must have got quite shock when I threw my hand at them. Do they not know the international code for pull me up? They did of course and I was saved. Just the bride to save next. When I had regained some composure and my legs had stopped shaking and I’d texted my mum and told her I loved her, I treated myself to a plastic cup of sangria and shazammed every song they played on the boat. I was too scared to dance in case I fell overboard and I was back in. It’s safe to say that’s the end of my relationship with the sea!

After Barcelona I had the holiday blues for a few days. I spent my days listening to all the new Latin songs I had acquired, and I had a bit of a chill. Simba, my dog, was happy to have me home and we spent some time tidying the house and preparing for the last two weeks of the holidays when the decorating was going to start. Boring stuff really, but it was really nice to spend some time at home with my things and have the freedom to pretty much be able to do what I wanted. That’s the beauty of having such a lot time away from work, if I want to spend my days in my PJs with my unwashed hair in a bun then I can and I will!

The past fortnight has been spent organising, painting and laughing with my best friend. Jakki and I have worked hard to clear out and decorate the spare room and I’m happy to say it’s almost done! Nothing seemed to go right in the room. It’s an odd shaped room with no clear straight wall so we had to be more careful and technical with the way we painted. But after listening to nearly every song we knew and drinking far too many brews, we have put the paint brushes away and now it’s time for Jakki to move her things in over the next few weeks!

So it’s back to work on Monday. And I honestly cannot wait! I like being in a routine. It’s one of my coping techniques. I feel that if my life is all in disarray than my thoughts are too, and that opens the door for me having some days where I can’t help but think of Isaac more and feel a little sadder. But once I am back in a routine I am much more settled. I also love the start of a new academic year. New exercise books, new diaries – a fresh start! I’ll let you know how it goes…

Thanks for reading.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s